It has now been precisely 1 year and 2 days since we got our first two goats. And, who knew what would happen since then…
1. I gained 13 pounds. Yikes.
2. We had three does (goat girls) birth a total of 7 kids! Here are the latest…
3. I learned that there is something extremely exciting about making the most delicious ricotta EVER, thanks to the instructions from the delightful owner of Gagliano’s Deli in Pueblo.
4. We had an instant, dramatic downpour that caused the dry ravine below our house to become a rushing mini-river.
5. Our sons each got a year older. They’re now my seven-year-old and my four-year-old (who got glasses, too.)
6. We got dogs, bunnies, chickens and lost dogs, bunnies and chickens.
7. We raised and slaughtered about 25 meat chickens!!!
8. I became The Goat Cheese Lady. And I’ve never looked back.
9. I fell off the blogging wagon once summer and gardening and kids home from school started. BOO! Did I scare you? I’m baaaack!
10. The Animal Whisperer became a master builder and seller of affordable, durable, and custom crafted chicken coops! He has sold 24 in the last 3 1/2 months!!!
11. My seven-year-old and I were featured in Culture Magazine!!!!! Wow!!!!!
13. We plan to be on Good Morning America, as you may well remember from my Dream List, they just don’t realize it yet.
14. We performed minor surgery on one of our bunnies to remove (puke, barf, plug your nose and eyes and ears) what turned out to be botfly larva the size of marbles living in the bunny’s skin. Thank your lucky stars I didn’t have my camera on hand for that one, I’m still nearly vomiting at the thought. I dare you to Google it. Bot Fly Larva. Better yet, Bot Fly Larva Removal. Bbllleccckk.
15. I pulled two slow to emerge baby goats out of their mama. Now, that was incredible.
16. I have met hundreds of interesting, talented, incredible, thoughtful and funny people through the classes I have taught. They are one of the things I am most thankful that teaching provides to me….
17. I met Chef Elise from Panzano’s.
18. I made lots of cheese.
19. I screwed up lots of cheese. But, that is where my mantra comes in: if you screw it up, just call it something else…it’ll still be delicious!
20. My family was, and still is, happy and healthy. We have an exceptional future ahead of us!
- The Goat Cheese Lady, age: 1